In 1759, by order of the king of Portugal, the Jesuit village of St. John the Baptist of the Indians, he became Villa New Trancoso. The typical urban layout of the Jesuit missions remained practically the same until the early 1970s, when young travelers rediscovered Trancoso.
Today considered one of the best preserved examples of the first settlements in Brazil, Trancoso holds the colorful houses, around the Square, where is the Church of St. John the Baptist of the Indians, almost immune to the passage of time without paving, street lighting or traffic cars.
The story of Trancoso is intertwined with the history of the country because it was in this southern coastal region of Bahia that Cabral's fleet has officially discovered by Brazil.
will in the years 1538 and 1551 the European settlers brought the first waves of African slaves to the captaincy of Porto Seguro to work on small devices.
At about the half of the sixteenth century came the Jesuits who, in Trancoso, erected the Church of St. John the Baptist of the Indians, around which the houses that formed the small village were being raised.